These were his most current measurements from his 12 month appointment:
Height: 30 1/4 inches
Weight: 24 lbs 9 oz.
Sleeping: Kellan's bed time is still 8:30-9 pm. Most nights its closer to 9 and lately with all of our traveling it has been as late as 10! He wakes up anywhere between 7:30 and 9 a.m.
Eating: I'm still making the majority of Kellan's food and he continues to be a fantastic eater. However, we have become MUCH more lenient when we are out to eat. A lot of times I will pack his meals when we go out and other times we will order him something off the menu. When we do order off the menu for him we try to choose the healthiest options. Sweet potatoes, grilled chicken, green beans, and steamed vegetables are choices we make when they are available.
He has 3 meals a day with breakfast being between 8:30-9 am. He usually eats half of an avocado and half of a banana cut up into pieces so that he can feed himself. Around 12:00-12:30 he has 3 items. Most of the time he has cut up fruit, pieces of cheese/cup of yogurt, and some kind of vegetable. Around 5:30-6:00 he has dinner which always includes a meat, a fruit and a vegetable.
I honestly don't even know if I can list all of the foods that our little piggy has eaten over the last couple of months. There is not much that he won't eat and lately we have let him try pretty much anything. I would also like to note that most of these foods he has had *ONCE or TWICE, not on a regular basis: *Pizza, *spaghetti, *lo mein, *white potatoes, *rice, green beans, *cheese quesadilla, *star fruit (he didn't like it and I didn't either), *ice cream, *cake, cranberries, black beans, butter beans, mushrooms, *macaroni and cheese, *french fries, *cheeseburger, shrimp, applesauce, hard boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, clementines, tomatoes and bread/rolls/biscuits (Kellan is obsessed with bread...he LOVES it and screams and points whenever it is brought to our table at restaurants which is pretty much the only time he gets it).
This sounds like we have just gone crazy and abandoned everything we have done in the past and now just let him eat anything! The majority of the time we still stick to his same diet of fruits, vegetables, dairy, eggs, raisins, and cheese but at birthday parties and certain restaurants we have let him indulge :) He is a kid after all and to me the most important thing is that he WILL eat healthy foods. At home he always eats healthy and at restaurants we pick the healthiest option available.
|First time eating pizza at Pino's|
|First time eating spaghetti also at Pino's...can you believe this mess was made with US feeding him? Imagine what he would have looked like if he had fed himself!|
He just eats SO MUCH. People think I'm exaggerating until they see him in action for themselves. We don't know where he puts it all. There are times that I'm pretty sure that he eats more than I do at a single meal. There are lots of times that he cries when we say "all gone." When someone else is eating he will often camp out under their feet or circle the table until he finds someone willing to share.
|The face I see standing under my bar stool while I'm eating lunch...begging for a crumb!|
Drinking: Kellan pretty much weaned himself from breast milk and started dropping feedings on his own. He stopped nursing after nap time first, then the morning feeding and last his night feeding. He just gradually became less and less interested in nursing and just wanted to go play. I was really lucky how easy it was for him to move straight into whole milk. By 12 1/2 months he was totally weaned and drinking whole milk out of a sippy cup. At first we gave him whole milk with meals and before bed but he doesn't want it before bed anymore. Right now he has a sippy cup of milk with his meals and water when we are out and about. He loves water and will drink a whole glassful when we are at a restaurant. He is much better with swallowing when drinking out of a straw instead of letting it dribble out. There is quite a bit of back wash going on and I just can't bring myself to share a cup with him.
Clothes: Kellan is wearing 18 months and 24 months, it really just depends on the brand. Some 18 months fit him perfectly, some are a little snug. Some 24 months fit him perfectly, some are a little big. He is still wearing size 4 diapers and he has shoes ranging from size 4 to size 6!!!
1. Kellan is walking all over the place! He used to have to pull up on something but now he can stand up on his own.
2. He "talks" more and more to us all the time and tries so hard to copy words that we say. Words that he can say: nana (banana), night-night, cheese, shoes, socks, duck, yes, no, ma-ma, da-da, thanks. He babbles a lot but the sounds he's making are often him trying to copy what we've just said. Most all foods he calls nana, no matter what it actually is. Whenever you hand him something he almost always says thanks.
3. We are now up to 8 teeth. He has 4 on the bottom and 4 on the top.
4. He visited his 6th, 7th and 8th state last month, We traveled to Michigan to visit Michael's brother Matt and our sister in law Alison for Thanksgiving. We stayed the night in West Virginia on the way up there, stayed in Michigan with them, and spent the night in Ohio on our way home.
5. Kellan can point or find the following objects when you ask for them by name: his ears, nose, mouth, hands, hair, belly, foot, socks, shoes, duck, shirt.
6. He loves to play in the bath but absolutely hates to have water poured on his head. He stands up and tries to get out of the tub when it is time to wash his hair.
7. The screaming and impatience that we were worried about a few months ago has slowly gotten better. He still has his moments when he demands food NOW but for the most part he has mellowed out.
8. When you get him out of the tub and wrap him in his towel he ALWAYS snatches up a toy within reach to take with him. No matter how fast you pick him up he finds something to grab everytime :)
9. Just within the last few days he has become a climber. He stands in chairs, climbs in suitcases, sits on stools, sits in baskets, anything he can find he will sit on it or climb on to it.
10. I have gotten in a very bad habit of laying down with him sometimes when he takes naps. I've just been so exhausted and he is such a good snuggle buddy...
11. When he wakes up in the morning the first thing he says is "nana." One time when he woke up from a nap the first thing he said was "cheese."
12. Michael asked him if he wanted a little brother or a little sister and he said "nana."
13. Kellan has a signature dance move of waving his hands by twisting his wrists whenever he hears music. He loves music of any kind and almost immediately starts to dance as soon as he hears it.
14. He still loves books and will often sit on his little couch and "read/babble" outloud to himself as he turns the pages.
15. Nothing within his reach is safe. He has broken 3 or 4 picture frames and will stand on his tip toes and run his hands along counter tops and the pool table until he feels something. Then he grabs it, pulls it down, and runs aways with it. His favorite toys are inside of kitchen and bathroom drawers and cabinets. He also enjoys digging in house plants.
|Stirring up something delicious with a tampon and a Nettie Pot that he pilfered from the bathroom cabinets.|
|Caught digging in the house plants!|
16. Right before he takes something he knows that he's not supposed to have (cell phone, TV remote, etc.) he will flash you the biggest, cheesiest grin that you can imagine with his eyes squinted shut.
17. Kellan has gotten his first and second "boo boo." First he broke the globe from a nightlight and slightly cut his thumb. It was bleeding just enough to warrant his first band aid. Next he fell face first out of a chair that he was standing in and got a scratched nose and a puffy lip. Thank goodness that was the extent of his injuries.
|He worked and worked on this band aid until he finally succeeded in pulling it off.|